Thursday, August 18, 2011

How is it going?

So many people have asked how it is going since I started on Synthroid. Well, who knows? I have only been on them for 2 weeks (25 mcg of synthroid daily), and they say it can take 4-6 weeks to notice a difference.

I was relating to it like it was a miracle drug before I started. It was going to:

  • Make me a twig (something I don’t think I have ever been although my family says I was as a child)
  • Give me endless energy
  • Solve my insomnia
  • Cure my foot issues
  • Make me cheerful and totally even keeled (something else I don’t think I have ever been, and my family hasn’t tried to convince me otherwise)
  • Give me back the endurance I have lost while nursing my foot
  • And basically make me the person I have always wanted to be (including taller, richer, etc.)

I am now back in reality and hoping that with this treatment I get to a normal level of energy so that I can get back to working out the way I love and build back my endurance and slowly and safely get back to a weight which I am comfortable at (which is much heavier than the media would promote).

Here is what I have noticed since starting this treatment, and perhaps none of it is related to the meds:

  • I crave salads and veggies again. I used to eat a salad every single day for lunch, and I haven’t in ages and have only eaten veggies because I know I should. I haven’t wanted them in forever.
  • I also want ice cream, which I am thinking is really a craving for dairy, so I have been trying to have yogurt, but I have certainly had some ice cream and even had a shake shack fair shake for lunch the other day. That was one of the best shakes I have ever had…I have caught myself daydreaming about it. I could do a whole blog post on that...yum.
  • My sleeping is 100% out of whack (no idea if this is from having no reason to set the alarm or the meds or a combo).
  • I sweat way more than I used to (this started before the meds, but it used to be I turned bright red before I started to sweat, now I sweat before I even think about turning red). Some say this could be an age/perimenopause thing, but from what I can tell, that gives you hot flashes more than causing you to sweat the minute you are exposed to humidity.
  • I have had more pain free stretches than I had in months, but when I do have pain, it seems to be worse and in 3 spots on my feet and in my right knee instead of just in one primary foot spot.

So, in summary…I have no idea but I am hopeful and perhaps a bit more realistic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's encouraging that you're able to notice changes such as these already. Good luck on this therapy as it continues!

S